Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Playing to Win

I'm just going to be frank: I am not a fan of sports. I can't really appreciate them, I don't understand the hype of them, and Lord knows I am much too uncoordinated to play them. When I think of my relationship with sports, I can't help but think of one of my favorite scenes in one of my favorite movies, Steel Magnolias.  (If you haven't seen this movie- please. Watch it. You won't be dissappointed!)



Clairee: [discussing the color of the football uniforms] ... But I love the top - such a vibrant purple. Bob, would you call this color "grape" or "aubergine'?
Ouiser: SHUT UP! 
Clairee: What? 
Ouiser: You're makin' a fool outta yourself, Clairee. 
Clairee: I am not. 
Ouiser: This is football. All people care about are touchdowns and injuries. They don't give a damn about that grape shit!

Now, as I attempt to compose myself from the laughter that Clairee and Ouiser always cause me, allow me to continue on with my point.

My ever-loving Boyfriend/Sports Medicine Professional/Football Enthusiast/National Youth Football Champion of 1999 presented a very profound sports analogy to me that, to my surprise, I really loved.

He said, "There are two kind of players: those who play to win, and those who play not to lose. The ones who play to win are going to win so many more games then those just playing not to lose."

I have to be honest, this struck such a chord with me! I was amazed by the simple profundity of the statement. Am I playing to win, or just playing not to lose? Are my sights on the prize, on the glory and the gold? Or are they just set on the motions to get through my everyday operations? Although I can't personally attest to the reality of this on the field, I can certainly apply it to life and love. You can never get very far if your focus is on avoiding failure. It's like walking with your eyes fixed on the sidewalk... sure, you're not tripping- but you could be awaiting a face-plant into something bigger, or worse- missing the gorgeous view of everything around you.

So, today, my focus is on playing to win. Losing isn't even an option- so why make it a focus at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment