Friday, November 30, 2012

Libby's List of Inexucusable Grammar Goofs

I have, as some would say, a few quirks. They're not necessarily bad (hey, I've lived with them this long!) but some people don't get why certain things irk me, or why I do things in my own special way (i.e: food on a plate. It isn't made for touching. My green beans would appreciate not being groped by my chicken, thankyouverymuch.)

I have compiled a list of some of the biggest contenders grating on my grammar quirk. If you do these things, we can no longer be friends. Okay, that's a bit harsh, but just know I WILL correct you and you WILL fix it and like it. That's what friends are for, after all.

And, before I give you said list, just know for all you parents out there: your kid using incorrect grammar is not cute. As much as you would like to label it as such, teach them proper English! You want your kid to earn high preschool honors, don't you?



Libby's List of Inexcusable Grammar Goofs

1. Asking a question such as, "Where's the party at?" cringe.
 Correction: "Where is the party?" or, "At whose house will the party be held?" There is no place named At, and if there was, no parties would be held behind it.

2. "Me and her are going to the mall."
  You hit 2 whammies with this one! Not only should you introduce others before yourself, but "her" goes nowhere. "She" does.
  Correction: "She and I are going to the mall."

3.  Couldn't Of/ Wouldn't of/ Shouldn't of
  Correction: Couldn't Have- or, could not have. As in, "I could not have a piece of candy. I wasn't allowed."
 I'm shaking my head as I type this because I never would have thought I would have to explain that... but my Facebook feed tells me otherwise.

4. Unnecessary Ellipses (AKA: ...)
  An ellipsis... isn't meant to just fill space... or introduce a thought... or transition into something else...
 (See also: "hyphen," which people also misuse in similar contexts.)
 Correction: An ellipsis is primarily used to show omitted words. As in: they were there, and now they are not. Yes, it may be used to show a pause or break in thought and context, but please... use... sparingly... and...only...when... absolutely...necessary (...)

5. To/Too
 Correction: If you have too much fun, you might forget to use the correct word. To me, that would just be too preposterous for words.


What are some of your grammar (or unrelated) pet peeves and quirks??




No comments:

Post a Comment